The fourth release of the HPC-Europa2 Virtual Cluster liveDVD is available (milestone 4) for download:
CINCENA (ITA) - http://www.hpc-europa.eu/files/iso/milestone4.iso.gz
EPCC (UK) - http://hpce2jra2.epcc.ed.ac.uk/milestone4.iso.gz
HLRS (GER) - https://fs.hlrs.de/projects/live-ptd/milestone4.iso
Release Notes for milestone 4
The Virtual Cluster liveDVD:
* provides tools and libraries that are installed and used at the partner sites.
* emulates the environment of the platforms available at HPC-Europa centers.
* allows hands-on building of a virtual cluster.
The liveDVD contains training and dissemination material published by the HPC-Europa2 project, including material from the partner centers such as slides, video tutorials and example code. Optional access to a source code repository enables the migration of code and data from the Virtual Cluster to the user account created on the HPC-Europa machines.
The liveDVD is based on SliTaz GNU/Linux, a free operating system, working completely in RAM and booting from a removable media. The file size of the SliTaz GNU/Linux 3.0 ISO image is 29 MB. Hence, it leaves plenty of space for adding tools, libraries and training material into this liveDVD. The SliTaz system is quick, responsive, and clean. A lightweight and elegant desktop is included as well in the 29MB ISO image.
The milestone4 ISO images has roughly the size of 3.4GB including several tools and libraries, as well as training material.
Since the previous release (milestone3), existing packages have been updated. Moreover, new packages have been added, such as:
* Emacs version 23.1
* Firefox version 6.0.2
* covise-6.5.0: A collaborative visualization and simulation environment
* imagemagick-6.5.5: Imaging tools.
* libvirt-0.9.4: The virtualization API
* marmot-2.4.0: A tool for analysing and checking MPI applications
* modules-3.2.8: The modules environment.
* opennebula-2.2.1: A virtualization manager
* qcachegrind-0.6: A profile data visualization under Qt similar to KCachegrind.
* torque-3.0.0: Provides the binaries for the Torque Batch System.
* tcl-8.5.9, tcl-8.4: TCL scripting packages, dependencies for the modules environment.
* VampirTrace-5.11: Generates an OTF trace file, which can be analyzed and visualized by the visualisation tool Vampir.
* MPI and OpenMP training material has been added.
* Tutorial has been provided on how to set up the Virtual Cluster.
* A laptop or computing with a DVD drive.
* Intel or AMD processor with a hardware virtualization support.
* Totalview requires a license file, which is no included, in order to work. For requiring a demo license visit: http://www.roguewave.com/products/totalview-family/totalview.aspx
* On a MacBook Pro laptop, the mousepad does not work. Need to use an USB mouse
* Resizing video screen on VLC causes an unexpected exit of the program.
* VLC has no sound for viewing mkv videos.
* VLC cannot stream files or view incoming streams.
This work was carried out under the HPC-EUROPA2 project (project number: 228398), with the support of the European Community – Research Infrastructure Action of the FP7.